Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Trigun Movie



 Before I get started, I have to ask that anyone who leaves a comment with spoilery info would please add an all caps warning about it at the top of their comment before they say anything else, to allow people who don't want to see the opportunity to scroll on by.

I had the opportunity to see Trigun: Badlands Rumble on Saturday. I want to gush all over it, both because I love Trigun, and because the movie was good, but I've been having trouble figuring out a whole lot to say that won't spoiler it for anyone.

From what I've read, only one of the original voice actors came back. I'm not really sure how well the new guys did, because the version that was showing near me was subbed, not dubbed. I hope they did well, because I plan to buy it when it's released on disc in September; and since my first experience with Trigun was the dubbed version on Adult Swim, I'm kind of spoiled.

Also, I'm guessing that this is either set somewhere in the middle of the series, or is going to be the jumping off point for a reboot, due to the status of certain characters, and a few other things.

Now, on to my actual reactions to the movie.

First thing I will say is that this movie was like one long episode of Trigun. They didn't make the mistake I've seen other anime movies make, and create something totally out of left field, breaking canon and making stuff up as they go along. It wasn't boring, either. The other mistake I've seen made on occasion, when they do stay true to canon, is that it feels like an episode that's dragging on waaay too long. Not so here. There were plenty of laughs, and lots of action to keep me entertained.

Vash was... well, Vash. If you're a Trigun fan, you know what I mean. Impossible to describe him to an outsider, really, except to say he's both the comedy and the awesome, all wrapped up into one.

Meryl was exasperated, as usual, and Millie was her typical, giant, adorable self.

It was lovely to see Wolfwood again, I missed him ever so much.

By the way, in case anyone actually wonders or cares, this movie totally passes the Bechdel test, mostly because of Meryl and Millie, and all their talk about statues and insurance, and their jobs (which have to do with insurance,) and food, and when they DO talk about men, it's not in a romantic way, at all. The other major female character is a bit obssessed with a certain male, but again, it has nothing to do with romance, and everything to do with her (self-appointed) job. The female NPC's were also complicit in this, talking about important things like survival, and a in one instance, a patient she was trying to save.

Huh. Apparently I had plenty to say that wasn't spoilery, after all. Yay me.

Now for the rest.

***SPOILER ALERT - SPOILERS AHEAD***


For those of you who don't mind spoilers, keep right on reading. Everyone else, scroll past this to the comments section, or go ahead and close this tab, if you don't feel like commenting. This is mostly just a random list of some of my reactions to certain events in the movie, anyway.


I'm still wondering if Vash was actually attracted to Amelia, or if it was an act. You never really know with him, do you?

It really made me sooo happy to see Wolfwood alive. I cried so hard when he died in the series. He wasn't my favorite character, but I was still incredibly attached. Hell, I was attached to all four of them. (Though I at least somewhat suspect my extreme sadness when Wolfwood died was because of poor Millie... *wibbles*)

I don't know about you, but I was just WAITING for Vash to show back up after he "died." I mean, I just knew he was going to reappear in some suitably comedic manner. I was not disappointed in the least, and Wolfwood's threat to beat him up later for it was the perfect touch.

They did add in the usual gag about the sling for Millie's gun breaking, but it kind of bothered me that the girls never saw any real action. I mean, I know they're not really meant to be fighters, but it would have been kinda cool to see them get a few shots in.

Love, love, LOVED the barfight scene. Hilarious.

And finally... the REALLY BIG spoiler... (like the biggest of the whole movie, so be warned...)

I'm sure there are going to be people laughing their asses off at me for this, but... I was absolutely shocked when I realised Amelia was his daughter. I was like, "No way..." and my eyes got all big.

Bunny, however, knew almost the whole time. (As per usual with Bunny- every time we go to a movie, he figures out the twist light years before it's revealed.) As we were driving home, I said, "You knew she was his daughter, didn't you?" He looked kind of sheepish and wary as he affirmed that he had. (I've given him reason in the past to be wary about revealing that fact- namely, my tendency to get Very Annoyed when I find out he already knew what shocked me.)

I asked him how he figured it out, and he pointed out that there were a good few visual clues. Her height, her hair color, the style of hat she wore... when I thought back on all of it, I had to admit he was right, those were fairly good clues.

And now that I've rambled on for a good long while about this, it's time to wrap up the post.

Please remember, if your comment has spoilers in it, to include a warning at the top. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment